Sunday 22 January 2017

Lord of the Spirits, Part 3 and Finished

I used Panzer Putty to seal off the areas I was happy with, and shifted over to the main cloak area.  I sort of hadn't really planned much about the colour scheme, outside of not wanting to use the primary colours in my palette.

I had some assistance from Bennyhorse in selecting a burnt orange colour, and after I painted it I loved it so much I let him decide on the rest of the colour scheme.


I went back and did a little more on the base, added some more little plant type things, and went with red again.  To tie everything together, base and model, I realised I needed some smaller red components on him.


I began painting the staff with grey, gave it a few washes of various colours and shades, then began highlighting back into it.  It was a really nicely sculpted staff, but I did miss a few mold lines which meant I had to be creative with my paint use.

I painted the eyes, and kept going back to sections to try and add more contrast and create more interest in various areas.


I airbrushed the leaves again, using the same orange colour I used on the models skirt, and the same shade colour from underneath, trying to bring it all together as one harmonious piece.


After the last few touchups, layers of varnish, I painted the metallic areas gold, added some blood trickling from his pouches, and from the runic skull on his staff and then glued him down.


I tidied up the areas where he joined with the base not quite flush, added some dosh and then put some pigments on his cloak, showing off the tattered nature of this guy.  And that was him all finished:






I really really love this guy.  I think I absolutely nailed the palette, the tree and the base integrate so well, it matches the initial vision I had for him.  In terms of the painting, there are a lot of areas I am really happy with.  The skin, the burnt orange, the dark red, the bone, all really on point.  Having said that, I feel like I could have been smoother, and taken the contrast further, and maybe actually added some more interest pieces, like a worn tattoo, or some liver spots or sores on his chest, maybe some grey hairs or similar.


And that is where I find myself now, reaching a point where I am happy with something but realising that I need to push further and go deeper.  I need to stop rushing through pieces and being happy with merely good, I need to develop myself and push into the realms of great.

This guy felt like the first step though.


You can find more pictures here:

Lord of the Spirits on Putty and Paint

And he is also for sale:

Models for Sale



Thanks for the constant support and help with my enthusiasm and drive to paint!


Cheers
Big Deno

No comments:

Post a Comment