Sunday 15 January 2017

Judgement: Bastian Part 2

The project taking up the majority of my brain power at the moment is this one!  This model which will hopefully be featured on the Kickstarter page for Judgement the game, is a really fantastic cast.  I have selected a colour scheme which I am very happy with, planned it all out and once I undercoated the guy, I got started with the airbrush for some skin.


I used Armour Brown, Beige Red and Pale Sand in varying combinations to get the first layers of painting down.  I then went back in with a brush, added some Hull Red, and some Inktense Red to the skin areas.  The key for this guy is the crystals, and since I've planned them to be green, I want the skin to have a reddish hue so that it contrasts more with the green. Same reason for his red hair!


Kept working away on the contrasts here, adding colour and trying to smooth it all out.  The trickiest part of painting this guy so far has been the rocks.  I was really struggling with the skin in general, and then I used Armour Brown to edge around each of the rocks.  Suddenly the skin looked a lot more clean, and I could see where things needed to be highlighted a lot easier.


One thing I've noticed more I paint, (no doubt also thanks to the painting classes with Raffa and Meg I've done) that the contrasts across a whole model are important, as well as how a model looks with all the colours complementing each other.  So I can gauge exactly how everything is working together, I have started adding in the other colours, the green crystals, brown for the strapping, his hair etc.


I airbrushed Carribean Blue from Scale 75 and shaded it with Dark Sea Blue, and began filling in all the other little details and colours.



And this is where I left Bastian last night.  He has a couple of areas left which I am unsure about what colours I should go with, but the overall colours of the piece is starting to come together. I will be dropping the value of that green down, I will be shading it with the same dark blue on the other areas to try and create some harmony between the colours.  The really fun part starts now, as I begin to push the contrast, and make things really pop off the model.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers
Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment