Friday 30 December 2016

Surt, Scale 75, Part 2

The challenge of painting Surt continues, with the difficulty of painting with no black ramping up now that I am painting metallics.

The next stage I did was airbrush some bluer tones on his top shoulder pads.  I started painting but I quickly realised it was looking terrible, so I shifted it back towards the Blue Green, but this time I shaded with only Dark Sea Blue, and I added in some Inktense Green from Scale 75.  I highlighted with Ice Yellow, and gave it a few airbrush glazes to soften things out.  I think that whole area, and in fact colour needs tweaking, but I want to get a sense of what the "completed" model will look like, so I am trying to get the rest of the model colours painted so I can have a visual reference to go off.

Anyway, I decided to paint some gold trim on his shoulder pads... I had to basecoat in Royal Purple, as painting over black was obviously not an option!

I mixed Dark Sea Blue with a colour called Regency Gold from some company I cannot remember.  Darkstar maybe?  Anyway, its a desaturated base tone that doesn't glitter as much as the full metallic.  I went Regency straight next, then mixed in some Renaissance Gold from the same company, and then up to VMA Steel.  I washed and shaded with Inktense Chestnut, Dark Sea Blue, Royal Purple and Inktense Violet.



Metallics has never been a strong point of mine, but I've always found gold much much easier.  I think I am going to mostly stick to silvers for the rest of the model, but I thought the gold trim might look good there.  Will be interesting to see the balance of that once I've painted some silver areas.

I also had been thinking about last nights blog post whree I started imagining this guy, and creating a little story in my head.  I have been finding myself excited about adding little base elements onto the busts I've been painting, something I've not seen done a lot elsewhere. I feel like it adds a little story to what is happening with the bust, and just makes for a bit of interest on what can be a little boring.

Admittedly, it can detract from the model, when its too overpowering, much like the Enchanted Pool base became.  So this idea I ran with for a concept, but now that I look at it I wonder if it might not be better as a base for an actual miniature?




I don't want to do much else, sculpt a little bedrock, add some sea weed, underwater foliage and maybe a little fish, keep the colours very sandy, hints of orange to offset the blue in the model, but keep it quite dull, and then the nice clear water from the resin, a little name plate in front. I think it could look great!  Could also look shithouse.  Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment