Sunday 4 December 2016

Home From Europe!

Well, what an amazing two weeks I've had.


The first few days was spent in Augsburg, in Germany, doing my private tuition with Raffa from Massive Voodoo, as I've already posted.  Those two days were a really motivating and exciting experience for me to go through, I've had a lot of different concepts to try and work through and figure out what works best for me and for my own progress as a painter.

I then travelled to Leeds and spent a few days mucking around rolling dice playing Guild Ball, painting some more and generally being a massive pest, including getting on the microphone and hosting an informal mixer/ q&a.   I had a rocking good time, did not win the World Championships, but did win every painting award I entered in.  Having said that, the competition was a little light on, its fair to say that painting is not really a major focus of the playing community of Guild Ball, but hopefully moving forward that will change as Steamcon gets bigger and better in future years.

My Fishermen team that won a prize.
My loot from the weekend.


One experience which I will not soon forget was the seminars that I participated in.  Firstly, the "Design a Guild" seminar was amazing, a collective group of players brainstormed together and in groups to create the Ratcatchers Guild, and toss up heaps of ideas for ways they could be operated on the table.  Part of that seminar was choosing a concept for a character for Russ Charles, the Steamforged inhouse sculptor to create literally in front of everyones eyes.  He spent approximately six hours over the course of the Friday creating the character of Skulk, based off the concept we had given him.

What was more amazing was seeing that model arrive from Steamforged HQ, having been 3D printed on their very advanced and expensive 3D printing machine.  Probably due to my real passion for painting, and dedication to entering my models, I was somehow able to convince the SF crew to let me paint one of the two printed models, literally that day.  I sat down on Saturday evening and four hours later this was the result:


Whilst I have to say that I am pretty happy with the result given the timeframes, the model was missing in a few areas that I really wanted to try and improve upon.  Incredibly, I was able to take the second, unpainted Skulk home, giving Russ the one I painted.  I got to have a second crack at painting Skulk....




So here is Skulk MK2, where I have the opportunity to paint him at my desk, in my own environment with all my cool shit.  I am ready to try and make him look sensational!


I'll post again soon, where I show off the progress on Skulk, but before I sign off here is a quick picture of my first day back home:




I love Australia.

Cheers
Deno

No comments:

Post a Comment