Wednesday 28 December 2016

Hmm.. Why Secret?

So I spent a lot of time today reflecting on the project I spent three weeks doing.

Unfortunately, I feel a little flat.  I realise now, after looking at the "completed" model, that I made a number of decisions that probably weren't ideal.  I started with a grand vision, and despite putting together a model that I think is really quite good, I feel like I am capable of better.  Unfortunately the piece has collapsed a bit under all of the things going on, whereas I wanted it to be enhanced by all the little easter eggs you could find looking at it.  I think firstly the fact that I spent a lot of the project going back and correcting things, and not having a truly clear and planned piece from the start was a lot to ask for a project of this size.  A Raffa or Roman could easily just knock this up with magic, and it would be amazing, but for me, I need to have more experience at creating something of this scale.

And thats how I am treating this project.  As a really great experience, that I am taking a lot from.  My next few models that I paint I will be doing busts, or something a lot more simple, and focusing on my painting, rather than creating this mammoth sprawling project that does not have enough focus on any one area.

Things I discussed with a few other peeps about the model, the paint work on the fairies is pretty good, although I am capable of better. The basing I didn't spend enough time painting to get truly right, and again, I have the issue of having these really saturated bases full of colour that tend to detract from the piece.  I have been really getting deep into the technical aspects of painting and spending a lot of time considering it since I got back from Germany, and one of the things I am really struggling with is the contrast. When I look at other pieces I see incredible contrast and I think, how the fuck do they do that?  When I try, I go from black all the way up to white, yet it actually looks less contrasting.  I think the reason is the fact that I use black, and white, and have chalky, desaturated colours.  I plan on removing black and white from my palette for the next model I try to paint, just as a learning exercise to really think about how I can use light and shadow in different ways.


The final thing I was considering was why I wanted to keep it secret.  It is exciting unveiling a project that nobody has seen for an event like this, and I think the appeal of having something that made the judges go wow when they first saw it was more appealing to me than it should have been. I need to remember my focus is on learning and growing as a painter, and the way I do that is through constructive feedback from people, from myself and serious consideration after a piece is finished as to how I can improve.

Whilst I am looking forward to the feedback from the judges, and the fun of competing, the real lessons I am taking from this model are the ones I have learnt over the last few weeks, the technical aspects of a model of this size, the consideration that needs to be had to planning, minimising the excess detail to focus on what really matters, and making sure that I paint a model completely, and to the best of my ability, before gluing them together.

Here is the actual conversation with Benny (I am Ramjet, he is Stebon... its a long story...  Our chat has evolved a lot):


Ramjet
i look at it now and i see a lot of fucking issues
its probably the best i can do right now
Stebon
Really?
Ramjet
but its still shit really
lol
yeah man
Stebon
Like what
Ramjet
just the painting, the use of grass, the sculpting
everything
im just not as good as i want to be
i was looking at crystal dragon entries from last year
and im no fucking chance
mind you, there has been big improvement
just have to keep working at it i guess
until i get where i want to be
Stebon
Fair enough
I think it's a pretty good piece, but your right it's not quite on the level of the top pieces from last years show
Do you think you should slow the process down in future?
Ramjet
I felt a time pressure on this one
Stebon
As in, plan more and know how things will work before doing them?
Ramjet
And I think I bit off more than I can chew
I look at my recent bust painting
And I am much happier with those
Papa Jambo
Because I can just focus on painting
Stebon
Yeah I think the fact that so much of this was stuff you had never done before, and then you were doing the test runs on the model itself
Ramjet
It's all about the journey though
Stebon
I was going to say that actually
Ramjet
And this has been a fun journey
Lots of interesting learnings
Stebon
I feel like this piece is a big departure from the style you practiced with German mate
Raffa?
Ramjet
yeah
hugely different
i actually said to someone this morning
i want to paint another model before cancon
just a bust
Stebon
And I think you should try for more of that style
Ramjet
to try and paint like raffa and i did
Stebon
I agree
My main knock against this piece is that I think it's a bit too busy. The eye doesn't naturally get drawn to any one spot
I think the blue mushrooms/blue legs plays into that a lot
Ramjet
And that's actually a flaw with the design
And with how I've executed it
Stebon
Your busts were a lot more focused and colour cohesive
Ramjet
i mean
its a bust
Stebon
Yeah the base got a little out of control for the model on it haha
Ramjet
the eye has to be drawn towards it
because there is nothing else
this was an attempt at a huge, elaborate diorama
with lots of different things to look at
Stebon
Well sure, but colours in the bust were still very cohesive
Actually something I noticed in a photo you posted last week
Let me find it


















More photos here, on Marks Putty and Paint profile.

Stebon
Hugely elaborate base
Ramjet
marks lara croft
but still focused
colours are more tonally similar
Stebon
But by using a very limited palette on the base, the eye doesn't get drawn away from the model
Ramjet
draws the eye centrally
yep
Stebon
Exactly
Ramjet
i actually tried to do that with this base but then the mushrooms got out of control blue
i want to try taking what i learnt here, and doing it on another model now
Stebon
Contrast with your base, on its own it's just as impressive, but it's rich colours makes it the focus
Even without the blue mushrooms
Ramjet
smaller, but still elaborate
haha
yeah
fucking shrooms
Stebon
The flagstones for instance
Probably should blend in more
Then you would have a very detailed, but almost entirely autumnal base
And the model on top would stand out
Ramjet
i think one of my biggest issues with my own painting is black
when i looked at my models and bases
i have black in the recesses
from airbrushing and trying to use zenithal stuff
but what i've found is it is making the models look very harsh
i actually painted in the neck of the turtle
added in red and dark sea blue instead of black
and it looked so much fucking better
so my next model i plan on basically removing black from my palette, and undercoating white
Stebon
Awesome
That's a good observation
Do you have a spare bust you can do for cancon?
Ramjet
yeah i've got like six
Stebon
Hah course you do



Anyway, here is the completed, studio shots of the Enchanted Pool.














And here is a video that shows off the lighting, by Powered Play.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this article a lot; it's great to see you critically analyse your work. I enjoy seeing your pieces come together on twitter, and I think you have hit the nail on the head in your assessment of your tones -- they do sometimes have a "chalky" and pale feel to them, which could well come from your use of too much pure white and black for contrast. You are certainly a much better painter than myself (and given the nature of my work, that is going to stay that way in the foreseeable future! :), but I do tend to enjoy using the PP Menoth White base and Highlights as I find they lead to much warmer highlights. I've also started using the PP inks as glazes more recently to add depth and warmth to areas and found that a very exciting new way to modify tones.

    I'm really enjoying watching your progression and seeing the pieces you put up on twitter, and now, the articles on this blog. Be interesting to see what you produce in 2017. Best of luck at Crystal Dragon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. I usually go for colours like VMC Pale Sand, or Menoth White Highlight, but I've really been watching some other painters videos recently and it's rare for them to go up to pure white, and I feel like I've done it on almost every colour recently. So by pulling that out of my arsenal for a few models I am hoping it will assist in getting rid of that chalky look. Undercoating white will also make a big difference I think. Glazing inks is another really good call, but I think you should try out the Scale 75 Inktensity set. Unbelievable pigmentation of those inks, so powerful. Really great for glazing.

      Are you coming to Cancon? You should throw in some of the Khador or something into CD!

      Delete