Tuesday 8 November 2016

Papa Jambo Part 2: Shading with Colour

So after my original plan of shelving Papa Jambo actually had to be put into practice, I failed terribly. I get very focused on specific things sometimes, and really Jambo was the piece I wanted to be painting.  Had I not started him I am sure I would have been all in on painting Haley girls.

But nevertheless, I pushed hard on the bust to try and knock it over. After our last blog entry, I looked at the overall model and the way it was shaping up. I felt that I had opted for quite a cold scheme, but with some warmth in the skin. I wanted the skin to remain the main focus area,  The lips were detracting from the cold tones of the model, by being an obvious warm point for me. I decided to tone them down just slightly to a more purple colour to match the nose a little more.  Also started the hair, finished the teeth.



I was powering along now, the inspiration was clear and evident. I absolutely loved the way this model was shaping up, it felt obviously strong colour choice wise, but I wanted to push things along more.   I thought Copper would look good, the orangey colour contrasting with the blue. Unfortunately it went the opposite way, I felt like it detracted by being a bright and garish. I didnt like it at all.


This left me a little stumped. I was sure that would work.  I knew that gold would work, but I felt like I would have a similar problem with the dreadlocks being so dark. I decided to change the dreads to a colour that would hopefully tie it together, and draw a little focus off the gold bell things.


And here you can see me gluing him to his base prematurely. As per the normal Deno procedure.  I wanted to do an ocean below him, kind of a subtle throw towards his pirate nature, as well as just adding a little interest to the otherwise boring base.  After that, then I did the purple dreads...

But you'll have to wait until tomorrow!  I will post the last few stages, and the completed pics then.


Cheers
Trent


No comments:

Post a Comment