Thursday 10 November 2016

Haley3 Commission Part 2: Bit o' Painting

I got started on the painting for the Haley commission.  As per usual I sort of winged it with colour ideas. I start off with a few colours in mind and then start adding things until I am happy with them.  For these guys I have very warm bases, with lots of earthy pigments and warm toned bricks.  I wanted to go the opposite on the models and have them be very cold colours, much like Papa Jambo.  I started with one of my favourite colours, VMC Blue Green, and I airbrushed some basecoats, I added some Menoth White Highlight and gave it a bit of zenithal lighting.

I used Coal Black from PP for the other areas. I then gave it all a black wash to create some contrast and give me the surfaces you can see in the pictures below.  It's my cheat method of creating a lot of areas that have immediate highlighting where you can add a few bits and it will look good.


I then went straight onto the faces. Part of the reason I accepted this commission (there was a few reasons) was the faces on these models are aboslutely gorgeous. I love them.  I found it really quite easy to get nice looking faces on the girls without too much difficulty.




I went onto Grandma Haley next, using her as the test bed for the ideas.  The Coal Black areas I have highlighted up on her cloak, and it looks like a stormcloud which is superCygnary and totally unintended. I plan to add cream panels to that also.  After that I will touch up the front, and consider adding a glow from the electrical areas.  On the whole I am pretty happy with how she is looking so far.



Some of my miniatures turned up yesterday too!  Some of them anyway.  Looking forward to painting them!



Cheers
Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment