Sunday 7 May 2017

General Painting Update!

It has been a month since I last updated the bloggo.  So, this post is an update on what I have been up to in the last few weeks in terms of painting and general awesomeness.



A model I plan to do a little step by step on soon is the Elf Rider by Lucas Pina.  I have a lot of models that I love, but this one is very high on that list.  From the moment I got it, all my other projects got put on the back burner.  I am pretty stoked with how this came out, any honestly I could have done more to it, because the size of the model is simply so immense.  Instead I settled for some very basic freehand work and called it a day.  My arm was getting fatigued from holding such a huge model!


I was approached by Jay Martin of figurementors.com to see if I would be interested in writing an article on how I paint models.  I was very humbled that I was asked, I certainly dont consider myself a mentor as such, because I am still learning on every model that I paint.  Despite that I decided to go for it, as it is great exposure for my painting and anything that you can do that broadens your viewership is great.   I did have a few things that I wanted to touch on in the article, but the main focus was a few airbrush techniques.  I've finished the model, and the article, and it should be up on the site soon.  In the meantime, here is the model I painted for it:


I had a bit off an odd request the other week from another Brisbane painter,Yianni.  He had been following my work for a while and wanted to watch how I paint in the flesh.  Again, another somewhat humbling experience.  He came over on the last week of my holidays for a few hours to watch me paint.  I had Alice from Black Veil models all assembled and ready to go, and since I did not have anything else ready to start yet I chucked some undercoat on her and hit it.  It was a fun experience, trying to explain why I was doing things, when often I do not really consciously make decisions about colours or techniques or whatever, I just paint.  Yianni asked a lot of great questions and made me evaluate the whole process I use and I think as a result it solidified some of the things I've learnt from Raffa, Meg and other sources and how I've integrated them into my own style.

I ended up spending 9 hours in total on Alice, and I think she is one of my best models.  She just feels like she works, and I got so many things right, contrast, texture and colour scheme.




And then I started working on a Conan model from Joaquin Palacios, where I decided to throw out everything I've been doing recently and paint in a totally different way.  I'll have some step by steps as well on him, because I think its been really interesting to try something new.  I don't know how the model will end up looking, but I am pretty happy with the fact that I've again tried to push my boundaries and limits.




That brings us up to date.  Next I will be doing my Elf Rider step by step, and starting off on the Conan one.

I am also planning a video soon showing how I paint, we will see how that goes.




Cheers
Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment