Wednesday 31 January 2018

New Year, New Resolutions

As you can no doubt observe, I have not met my goal of regular blogging.  Its been a frantic few months, with Crystal Dragon preparation, moving house, and all sorts of other wild events.  I used to make a point of blogging after I finished a painting session, either that night, or the following morning.  But since some big changes in my personal life, I've prioritised painting or exercise, and of course, my proper job, over blogging.


I had a big slump in terms of the quality of the work I was putting out for a little period.  It coincided with the move to my new house, and a general sense of discombobulation around my painting.  However that has begun to dissipate as I settle into the new rhythm and routine.  And as a result, my painting quality has both begun to improve and become more consistent.


The biggest of the challenges I am facing with my painting at the moment is patience.  I feel like I am capable of producing a higher quality of work than I currently am, but to do so I need to spend more time.  It becomes more like work, and less like fun.  And since painting has been therapy, I have been not really interested in pushing myself harder.  Despite that, I've reached a point now where I feel like the time is right to try and pace myself, to slow down and really consider projects.  Before I get too deep into this, Crystal Dragon review!


Last years CD was my first real attempt at a painting competition.  I had not painted anything at all specifically for a contest before.  I entered 12 pieces, and received 3 gold, 2 silver and 7 bronze: Everything I entered received an award.  I was well chuffed. 

This year, I feel like I went in with mixed expectations.  Probably 90% of what I entered this year was significantly better than anything I entered last year, even the pieces that received a gold.  I've gotten much more contrast, much better usage of colour and really started to develop my own style.  Despite that, I was also aware that nothing I entered was the best piece it could have been, perhaps outside of the Barbarian.  So although I felt like I would do ok, I was also hesitant that the judges would recognise my laziness and punish me for it....



Either way though, the result was far less concerning than it was for me last year.  I wanted to do well last year, but this year I was much more concerned on talking with other painters, seeing other models and understanding ideas and concepts and really diving deep into the technical side of painting.  I am much more confident on what I know, and what my weaknesses are.  I also acknowledge that art is subjective, and on any given day people may think my work is amazing, or rubbish.  So getting wrapped up in the result is counterproductive to the goal of improving myself.

Out of my 18 entries this year, I received one gold, two silver, and one bronze.  This made me the second most succesful painter of the weekend, behind Macca, who also won the judges choice award.  A good result, and more pleasing was the great feedback I got from all the judges around how to take it to the next step: PATIENCE.


I have a mantra that I try to apply to all aspects of my life, the three Ps.  You can achieve anything you set your mind to, as long as you have Passion, Perseverance and Practice.  The last one making up the most important part.  Maybe I need to add the fourth P... Patience... LOL


Planning is one thing that Macca and I have talked about a lot, and in particular we discussed it on the weekend.  He sits down and plans everything, from colours to concept to basing, and is ready to go before he touches a model.  I am the absolute inverse of that, I sometimes make bases after painting, or make a base and find a model to put on it, I decide colours as I am going, or change up weapons or poses midway through a piece.  Its fun, frenetic and will result in some things coming out great, some coming out average and others never getting finished because they are so bad. 

I need to actively start planning a piece before I consider putting paint to model, think about atmosphere, about focal points, about colour scheme and concept and reference art and all these other things so that I am challenging myself to achieve a goal.  This year I plan to mix up my painting and add in a few really big time intensive project pieces that I can focus on in addition to the usual method of painting for fun.



GOAL REVIEW

http://bigdenopaints.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/reflections-and-resolutions.html


In this post I reviewed my 2016 as a whole, and set myself some goals.  I am now going to review them to see how I went!

1.  I want to try to paint something for as long as it takes to be "perfect".
Definitely did not achieve this. In fact, I may have gotten worse. FAIL.


2. Paint the "best" thing I've painted.
I think I did this, over the course of my natural progression as most of my recent pieces are leaps and bounds ahead of Surt/ Jessica. PASS.

3. Take more classes.
Took another class with Meg, a sculpting class with Romain, and am about to have a class with Roman Gruba this weekend.  So I'll give myself a PASS here.

4. Learn to sculpt, both digital and IRL.
I have started this process, but I am still a long way off.  I sculpted three heads last year, and learnt a lot along the way.  Digital, still nothing.  FAIL.

5. Paint with more colours, and more vibrancy.
Definitely have a whole different experience of colours now, and feel like I am beginning to scratch the surface of how I can paint things differently and with powerful colours. PASS

6. Improve my basing.
Definitely a weak point still, but with some improvements along the way.  SHIPREKT, a few of the recent bases I have done, and the current piece I am working on, it is all heading in a good direction. PASS

7. Keep blogging!
ULTRA FAIL


My New Goals
1. Plan more projects
Spend more time deciding on a concept, finding some reference material, painting to a specific plan of action and ultimately, a better result.

2. Improve my sculpting to sculpt an actual bust
Once I feel the urge strike I shall pull out my sculpting tools and start trying again.

3. Keep improving my basing
Have more of a plan will help this one, but also just be willing to take more time making good elements to use on bases.

4. Paint something innovative
I've had a number of ideas that I've executed well, but nothing that was mind blowing or innovative.  I have some ideas that I think could tick this box, so lets see if I can make those a reality.

5. Blog more
Same as last year.

6. Be more PATIENT
Well, this is the biggest challenge and also the key to the biggest success for me. If I can simply slow down and take more time with projects there is no doubt I will achieve a greater proportion of amazing models, and less rubbish models.  The challenge is balancing that with doing stuff for fun, and stuff for competition/ pure art standards.



Appreciate you following along with my rambles!






2 comments:

  1. Patience... It's a skill, it can be learned as much as anything else.

    Looking forward to what you achieve this year considering your goals.

    Glad you aren't too dishearted by CD results. I felt a lot of judging came down to tough love on you. Sounds like it's had a positive impact already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Article and am listening to an interview on VV at the moment!

    I have three questions:

    1) What, if any, games are you playing at the moment and why are you playing those games?
    2) Do you miss Warmachine at all, or have you fully moved on?
    3) Do you ever want to try different forms of painting, ie Fantasy Art, Oil paintings, line drawings, or do you think Miniature painting is your chosen form forever?

    Cheers dude still miss Ozmachine!

    ReplyDelete